Leaderboard
728x15

Cool Vacation To Jamaica images

Large Rectangle

A few nice vacation to jamaica images I found:


All That Glitters . . .
vacation to jamaica
Image by faith goble
Still cleaning out my desk and just found another photo I'd been meaning to scan.

I took this picture in Jamaica in the late seventies. Right before we flew back to the US, I opened my old 35 mm SLR Minolta without remembering to rewind the film and ruined the roll--whicn had my best pictures from Jamaica on it, naturally. This photo, which I found later on another roll, was shot from the balcony of our room, overlooking the beach at Ocho Rios.

We stupidly visited Jamaica during a time of civil unrest (Michael Manley was PM and was at odds with the US after establishing relations with Cuba in the early 70s; the US attempted to destabilize Jamaica under Manley's tenure) and there were riots in Kingston--several American tourists had been murdered that summer. It took us several hours in a van to reach the resort after we landed at the airport, and the driver harangued us for the entire three hours about how the US should help Jamaica economically to help prevent the formation of a closer alliance between the island and Castro; I suppose he didn't realize how little control most American citizens have over the actions of our government. Like many people, he seemed to believe that our government actually was "by the people."

The houses we passed on the way to the resort were smaller than one room in a modest American home. I'll never forget passing through the silent streets of a large town and the unfriendly and hopeless eyes of the people lining the roadside. Crowds actually filled the sidewalks to capacity, and they just stood there, watching. I suppose they had no work. I don't really know what they were waiting for, but only those despairing eyes moved as we drove by.

Because of the violence (foreigners were fleeing Kingston in fear for their lives), our travels in the country were greatly circumscribed and guards with automatic weapons were positioned around the resort day and night. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), I was too young and dumb to be afraid.

I remember Jamaica as an extraordinarily beautiful place (made even more beautiful because Myer's rum and Red Stripe beer was available at very low prices or often free at the resort and the food was excellent), which was crippled with poverty and crime. As I said, I was young at the time and not quite as disturbed by destitution and unfairness as I am now; I don't think I'd ever want to go there again--I see enough inequity in the States.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this old photograph for the sunshine that glitters on the surface even though the country itself lay under an ominous cloud of want, trouble, and despair.


Bear Hugs for Jamaica_Girls and boys holding their new friends
vacation to jamaica
Image by Cristal Montanez Baylor
Mi proyecto "Bear Hugs for Jamaica" Hi Cristal, thanks for email and your bears, had lots of fun playing Santa, what a great cause, really put smiles on the kids faces,hope the pictures were ok.... I have lived in Jamaica for 11 years now running a couple of villas and overseeing groups vacationing here in Jamaica. I do not have children of my own and wanted to get involved with kids under 5. the Government does not subsidize these schools and they depend on private funds to run school and maintenance. My help goes directly to the kids or have personal input in repairs. In the past my guests have questioned me on what I do with schools and asked that there next visit they could bring toys and school supplies for them. (...) Once again I thank you so much for having me involve with handing out bears to the kids. Mike


of course we went.
vacation to jamaica
Image by the queen of subtle
we've been to the original one in key west, after all.

Banner